Quick Start Guide
Once you have set up your account, you can start querying your data from your data sources. Frappe Insights makes it very easy to query your data with its best-in-class query builder. You can then quickly create visualizations and dashboards from your queries.
We will be using the Orders data source from the Demo Data that comes with Insights to demonstrate the features.
The query builder is the main interface for querying your data. It is available in the Query tab in the sidebar.
You can click on any existing query to edit it or click on the Create New Query button to create a new query. Once you click on the Create New Query button, you will have to select a data source from the list of available data sources. After selecting a data source, you will be able to see the Query Builder interface.
There are three main sections in the query builder:
- Tables - This section is used to select a table from the data source. You get options to join tables here.
- Columns - This section is used to select columns and perform aggregations on them. You can also add custom columns here.
- Filters - This section is used to select filters. You can add simple or advanced filters here. You can even write logical expressions here.
To make a basic query to get the total number of orders, follow the steps below:
- Select the Orders table from the Tables section.
- Select the Count aggregation from the Aggregation dropdown in the Columns section.
- Click on Execute to execute the query.
Now, let's add a dimension to the query to get the total number of orders placed over the years.
- Select the Order Purchase Date column from the Columns section.
- Select the Group By option from the Aggregation dropdown.
- Select the Month option from the Date Format dropdown.
- You can also add a Filter to find only the orders that are delivered.
You should end up with a query like this:
Now that you have a query, you can visualize the data. Go to the Visualize tab to create a visualization. Insights tries to guess the best visualization for your query. You can however change the visualization type from the Chart Type dropdown.
Once you are satisfied with the visualization, you can add it to a dashboard. Click on the Add to Dashboard button to add the visualization to a dashboard. To add this visualization you'll need to create a dashboard first.
A dashboard is a collection of visualizations. You can create a dashboard by clicking on the Dashboard tab on the sidebar. Click on the New Dashboard button and enter a suitable name for the dashboard.